Meeting Minutes from August 2, 2011
Lancaster County Workforce Investment Board
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Liberty Place, Room 112
James Black, Sharon Leese, Jean Martin, Linda Kreider (Ex-Officio)
Thomas Baldrige, Steve Fries, Eric Horn, Donald F. Johnson Jr.,
Andrew Garner, Scott Sheely, Kim Sullenberger, Lori Rank, Rod Kopp,
William Moulfair, Anna Ramos, Gary Grube
Call to Order
Sharon Leese called the meeting to order at 3:39 p.m., welcomed everyone and thanked everyone for coming.
Approval of Minutes from July 12, 2011 meeting
Minutes approved unanimously on motion from Jim Black and second from Jean Martin with email approval on August 25, 2011 from Steve Fries.
Filling slot on Executive Committee
Scott Sheely opened discussion on filling the slot on the Executive Committee vacated by Craig Lehman. Gary Grube needs to be nominated to fill the vacancy on the Board and Executive Committee left when Maureen Lewandowski retired which, when complete, will leave one opening on the Executive Committee. He asked if the remaining opening should be another private sector member or an official. Jean Martin asked if Linda Kreider could become a voting member again and answer was maybe. Scott mentioned Steve Fries was not interested in assuming the Chair role but would like to remain on the Executive Committee. The thought was that the person moving into the Chair role should be the person appointed to the vacant slot on the Executive Committee
Discussion ensued on who could fill that role. Suggestions in order of preference included Eric Horn, Steve Grosh, Bob Rhoads, Michelle Chronister, David Nice and Christine Hertneky.
Assuming the Fiscal Agent Role from the County Controller
Scott Sheely reported all the forms have been filled out and submitted to Harrisburg to become the fiscal agent. Task groups are meeting and the fiscal staff is working on internal monitoring and auditing controls. Scott recommended that the Finance Committee be increased in size to 5 or 6 people with more frequent meetings to review items brought to the Executive Committee. Over the last few years, there have been no audit findings. Seeing this continue is the goal.
Overview of Proposed Operator and Local Management Committee Structure
Trish Link reported at the operators meeting last Thursday morning that WIA, Department of Welfare, BWDP, IU # 13 and LCCTC and IU # 13 were nominated for the Operators Consortium. Also, Trish Link was approved as Chair of the Consortium and liaison to the Executive Committee. Discussion was opened and it was decided that the Board has to approve the Operators. A motion will be submitted at the September meeting to approve this.
Gary Grube reported the LMC is being reorganized with the County dropping out as fiscal agent. A motion of the LMC to have Scott nominated was approved by unanimous consent. The LMC will now include Scott Sheely, Gary Grube, Lori Rank and Beth Ann Haas along with Jessica King representing the economic person as its members.
Approval of Revised Local Plan for Community Comment
Scott Sheely reported the Local Plan has been revised with changes to the Title I contractor and the Fiscal Agent. All the changes are reflected on the modification summary form with the packet. The action required will put the plan out for public comment for thirty days. It will be brought to the Committee for further action in September.
Approval of the Revised Local Plan to be put out for public comment for 30 days and then brought to the full Board in September with Executive Committee reviewing and recommending was approved unanimously on motion from Jim Black and second from Jean Martin with email approval on August 25, 2011 from Steve Fries.
Approval of Committee Chairs for 2011-2012
Scott Sheely reported that Chairs of all committees need to be approved for the new program year. Sharon Leese, Steve Fries, Don Johnson, Eric Horn, and Gary Grube have consented to serve again as chairs of the Chair of the Executive Committee, Performance Review Committee , the Finance Committee, Youth Council, and the Local Management Committee, respectively. through June 2012.
Committee Chairs for 2011-2012 were approved unanimously on motion from the Jean Martin and second from Jim Black with email approval on August 25, 2011 from Steve Fries.
Approval of WIB Benefits Statement
Kim Sullenberger referred to the Exempt and Non-Exempt Employee Policy and the Summary of WIB Benefits documents in the packet. All these documents have been run by legal counsel for approval. Changes include:
- Paid time off to include 20 years or more (see handout).
- PTO policy revised as to requesting time off along when it can be used. Carryover of 15 days is allowed.
- Individuals who do not give two-week notice forfeit paid time off cash out.
- Change in holidays with Columbus Day and Good Friday no longer a WIB holiday to align with the same schedule CareerLink is open to the public.
- Personal leave and medical leave section revised to take out section on short-term illness because we have short term disability. Use of PTO is required before short-term disability kicks in.
- Jury Duty has no cap.
- Non-exempt employees working 37.5 hours; if they work, less must use paid time off.
- Exempt employees scheduled to work 37.5 hours if they work ½ day or more don't need to use paid time off.
The Policy is being revised to be more consistent and following legal requirements.
Scott Sheely recommends that the Executive Committee review these policies annually sometime in April/May. The Personnel Manual is currently being revised by Ed Krow and Kim Sullenberger. Jill Welch will review it before it is brought to the Executive Committee.
The WIB Benefits Statement, Exempt and Non-Exempt Employee Policies were approved unanimously on motion from Jim Black and second from Jean Martin with email approval on August 25, 2011 from Steve Fries.
Nomination of Gary Grube to Board of Directors
Scott Sheely reported Gary Grube's supervisor has sent a letter to the County Commissioners nominating him to the Lancaster County Workforce Investment Board and the Executive Committee to replace Maureen Lewandowski who retired December 30, 2010.
The Nomination of Gary Grube to the WIB Board and Executive Committee was approved unanimously on motion from Jean Martin and second from Jim Black with email approval on August 25, 2011 from Steve Fries.
Nomination of Cheri Modene to Youth Council
Andrew Garner reported the Youth Council is nominating Cheri Modene, supervisor of Juvenile Probation, to be appointed to fill the remaining term of Sherry Lupton as a member of the Youth Council through June 30, 2014.
The nomination of Cheri Modene to the Youth Council was approved unanimously on motion from the Youth Council and second from Jean Martin with email approval on August 25, 2011 from Steve Fries.
Approval of June ARRA Report
Rod Kopp reviewed the ARRA expenditures report for June. The Youth Dropout Recovery funds have been 100% expended. Going forward, the only ARRA money left is the Green Energy money.
The June ARRA Report was approved unanimously on motion from Jim Black and second from Jean Martin with email approval on August 25, 2011 from Steve Fries.
Andrew reported on the Youth Council's efforts to develop a TANF Plan for program year 2011. At the October meeting, he will be bringing the final TANF plan for approval to the Executive Committee after it is approved by the Youth Council in September.
Also, the Steering Committee is looking at adding new members to strengthen and increase the numbers on that committee. One private sector, one community based organization representative, and the Title I operator have been invited and accepted to serve on the Steering Committee of the Youth Council.
PA CareerLink Administrator
Lori Rank reported the new service delivery format for staff was rolled out. They are still in the process of fine tuning the job descriptions and the standard operating procedures and aligning them to the flow chart. Facility rooms and departments are being relocated. County computers have been scrubbed and software is being re-loaded. Furniture is being re-inventoried cleaned out and distributed as needed. All staff now introduces themselves as CareerLink and not individual programs.
Lori reported CAP as an investor partner is interested in terminating their lease. They would like to leave as of August 31, 2011. Scott asked if we should let them leave without comment. Jean Martin asked if they are going to discontinue their program. Answer was no the program is continuing. Kim Sullenberger reported they have lost one of their two funding resources. The issue of whether they a required partner depending on their funding sources and what about services for clients was discussed along with possible other programs being brought to the CareerLink. Consensus is it would be a good idea for Mark Esterbrook to report back at the full Board meeting in September.
Scott Sheely reported.......
- He really believes the flow chart with job descriptions and standard operating procedures is very functional for operations in the CareerLink. He wanted to recognize and thank Lori Rank and Anna Ramos for a job well done.
- One2One is monitoring and tagging all the computers and equipment in the CareerLink. The transfer of equipment from the County to the Board is expected to be done by August 31, 2011. Job Club is moving down to room 24 by the end of the year. Overall, the move has gone well. EARN, R2W and WIA are all working together and staff is happy.
- More training and use of the CWDS system is happening such as case notes and posting training.
- The WIB Symposium is coming up in State College on August 17 -19, 2011. Growing jobs, working with Unemployment Insurance and business services are hot topics this year.
- Topics for Board Meeting were requested. September will be a CareerLink Report and a Tour. November will be on Industry Partnerships. January will be on Re-Entry Management. March will be social enterprise.
- Scott will be doing a lot of consulting during September and October with an Industry Partnership group in the Bay Area and another group in Wisconsin.
- He will be teaching at the National Sector Skills Academy in Maryland again this year
- He and his wife will be traveling with the group from the Chamber to China in late October.
The Executive Committee adjourned at 5:06 p.m.